Autumn’s arrival is right around the corner. This year, think of the new season as a clean slate, a fresh start to healthier habits. With these simple health tips, you will have the happiest, healthiest fall ever.
- Drink up. Flu season is coming, as well the common cold. Staying hydrated is key to boosting your immune system and preventing yourself from getting sick. Make it a habit to constantly drink water throughout the entire day. For an extra boost of vitamin C, start each morning with a big glass of orange juice.
- Stay active. Take a break from your Netflix binge, and go for a walk through the park or go on a bike ride with a friend. The cool, crisp air will feel so refreshing compared to summer’s sweltering heat. Plus, the vibrant colors of fall are absolutely gorgeous! Spending time outside boosts your vitamin D levels, which not only can improve your mood, but all better your focus. Take time out of everyday to do some kind of physical activity for at least an hour. Your body and mind will thank you.
- Curb the cravings. Between Halloween and Thanksgiving, ‘tis the season for temptation. It is okay to indulge in a piece of pumpkin pie or a few candy corn kernels, but just remember that moderation is key. When it comes to Halloween, wait until the day of to buy the candy so you aren’t tempted by the treats all month long. At Thanksgiving, start your day with a nutritious breakfast. This will boost your metabolism, and help prevent cravings. When it is your turn to walk through the dinner line, carefully think about what you want to eat and what you do without. This will prevent you from filling your plate with massive portions.
- Bring on the pumpkin. While a majority of pumpkin-flavored treats contain artificial pumpkin spice flavoring and are high in sugar, pumpkin itself is one of the healthiest fall flavors. It promotes weight loss, prevents aging, sharpens vision, increases immunity, protects your heart and helps you sleep. Not to mention, it is absolutely delicious! Have fun with this fall favorite. Add pureed pumpkin to your morning smoothie, sprinkle pumpkin seeds on your salad, or toss in some pumpkin in your next batch of chili. The options are endless!
- Buy seasonal veggies. Fall is filled with colorful vegetables that are not only great for you, but taste great too. Broccoli, beets, brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, squash, etc. There is an abundance of tasty veggies to enjoy! Stock up on these seasonal superfoods.
Carrying out these tips everyday may be difficult at first, but it will become a habit in no time. Stick with it, and you will feel better than ever. Good luck!