During the hectic, eventful summer months, it is easy to forget about the nutrients our bodies need to stay healthy. This year, make it a habit to avoid summer’s tempting treats such as ice cream sundaes and funnel cakes, and grab something healthier to snack on instead. These nutritious, delicious snacks will keep you happy and healthy all summer long:
- Homemade Fruit Popsicles. Popsicles are a summer classic; however, their processed sugars are so outdated. Beat the heat this summer with all natural fruit popsicles instead! They are delicious, healthy and so easy to make. Simply pick your favorite fruits, dice them, and then place them in a popsicle mold. Fill the extra space in the molds with coconut water, freeze overnight, and then enjoy this refreshing treat the next day without any guilt!
- Mashed Avocado with Crackers. A bite-sized version of avocado toast, this quick-and-easy snack will be a hit at your next pool party (and it is only 100 calories)! Top a few whole grain crackers with two tablespoons of mashed avocado and enjoy! Simple as that.
- Watermelon. A seasonal favorite, watermelon is not only packed with flavor but with numerous health benefits as well. Watermelon contains lycopene, which is a chemical pigment that is believed to potentially guard against different kinds of cancer. Not to mention, its 90 percent water making it a perfect poolside snack to keep you hydrated on the hottest of days.
- Frozen Grapes. This summer, keep a bag of grapes in your freezer to have on hand for a healthy, refreshing snack that can be taken on the go! Whether you are going to a baseball game, the community pool or the playground, this low-calorie frozen treat will keep you cool and is packed with powerful antioxidants.
- Hard-boiled Egg. Containing merely 70 calories and packed with vitamins, healthy fats and proteins, this simple snack can’t be beat. Not only are they simple to make and keep on hand, hard-boiled eggs are a snack that will keep you feeling fuller longer, which will prevent unhealthy snacking throughout the day.
Enjoy your summer to the fullest by trading in the potato chips and candy for these wholesome, healthy snacks that are not only good for you, but taste good too! Happy snacking!