The department stores are already bringing out spring clothes, so even though we are starting to prepare for the next snow fall in the forecast, the reality is that warmer weather will be here before we know it. Are you ready for shorts, swimsuits, and exposed arms? The popular website Spark People has some great tips for starting an exercise program…and sticking with it!
- Be realistic. It may be time to throw out the swimsuit you wore on spring break in college. It’s okay to remember the body you once had, but remember that making new memories starts today.
- Schedule your work out. Treat working out just like any other appointment that gets scheduled. Your health is one of the most important reasons to stick to a plan, so don’t cancel appointments that will make you feel good and look better.
- It’s “all in the gang”! Enlist friends, family members, and/or co-workers to join in on your goals of health and wellness. You’ll be more likely to continue on the healthy path with others joining you.
- Sign up for a race or other event. As the weather warms, there’s not a weekend that goes by without a run/walk race, golf tournament, relay race, mud run…you get the idea! Sign up for something – it gives you a goal to reach.
- Eat. Healthy eating is part of the “big picture” so don’t forget to follow a healthy eating plan. Starving yourself is never the answer!
- Showing up is half the battle. Don’t feel like hitting the gym? Go anyway. Once you get there you’ll realize it’s easier to motivate yourself with all that shiny gym equipment surrounding you. Even walking the indoor track for 20 minutes is better than nothing.
- Go ahead…brag. Share your wins with friends. Post a healthier, happier profile picture of you on Facebook. The feedback you receive will continue to motivate you as you reach your ultimate goal of being a more energetic, healthy, better version of you.